Monday, May 12, 2008

so go away....

The evening was wonderful; certainly a lot better than how my day was going that Monday.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Envy Corps. They were a young group who need a bit more time to polish their sound, but what I heard that night provided a solid foundation for them to grow on. I do not know any of their songs by name, but the last and third to last song were visceral and provided a nice ambiance to counteract the band to follow. I did buy their album, so I'm anxious to listen and learn more about this band. I would be up to seeing them play again.

Vedera were okay. The lead singer was a cutie as stated earlier, their songs were pleasing. I think I might need a little more time to absorb their sound, but what I heard piqued my interest. I grabbed a copy of the free EP, so I'll give that a spin and if I like what I hear, I'll be sure to get their "official" EP off iTunes.

Myriad and I just didn't seem to mesh well together that night. Not to discredit them, but they reminded me too much of Thrice. I like Thrice, but Myriad did not distinguish themselves too much for me to identify with them. If their song came on the radio, I wouldn't rush to change the station, but I would most likely push the song into the background. Not really a general criticism, more of a "not my cup of tea" band at the moment; although the viola bow playing did remind me of Sigur Ros and Jimmy Page.

Now, Eisley was good. This was my first time seeing them live, and I was not disappointed. They played all the songs I wanted, which was nice. Highlights for me were "Golly Sandra," "Marvelous Things," "Many Funerals," "Taking Control," and "Ten Cent Blues." A little less talkative than I had hoped, but I did enjoy their focus on the music. Their younger sister performed well on an intro into a song, and I thought it was cute to see Sherri left her up. And the little vocal solo by Chauntelle was the highlight of the evening for me.

All in all, a good night of live music. I would have liked to talk with them after the show, but a show on a Monday night does not live much time for hanging around afterwards when you need to catch the last Metro home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about Combinations?

d3ft0ne said...

Combinations is a good album, it's the first album I bought from Eisley. However, since purchasing their first album, Room Noises, I find that I'm more intrigued by that because it seems more whimsical.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, what I meant was, the song, "Combinations". Did they sing that one?

d3ft0ne said...

They sure did. Very minimalistic and sparse compared to what's on the album. Just two of the sisters and the bass player on stage for this song. I liked it.