Sunday, May 4, 2008

I'm just a happy kid, with a heart of a sad punk...

Now, I've seen Nada Surf multiple times, most often in tiny venues where the show is extremely intimate. This would be the first time I would see them in a larger setting with a large crowd of hopeful fans. And what do I do, I nearly miss the show; but it was for a good reason, I would've been hanging out with friends if they didn't fall asleep because they're "mature."

Anyways, I make it to the show about 30 minutes late, once again missing the opening act, and missing the first third of the set of Nada Surf. Yeah, I was a little miffed at myself for doing so. But it was also a good thing, because what song do they immediately play after my arrival. Only my most favorite song in the Nada Surf catalog, "Inside of Love." It's song selection like that that make feel like a big softie, my solution, I try to listen to as much Mastodon and Dillinger Escape Plan, yeah, I'm hardcore.

Continuing on, "Inside of Love" was just awesome in that huge setting. Seriously, I am glad I made this show and saw Nada Surf in their huge rock 'n roll environment. I thought they were good in small venues, but they owned the stage at the 9:30 club in a sold-out show. Every song sounded huge, every person in the club was feeling it and gave as much back to the band as the band was giving it out.

They even had a fox hat for their song, "The Fox." Yeah, I know, it would seem too easy, but the song is dark, yet hopeful, a nice balance of comedy and maturity.

Their encore was probably the second best collection of songs played live from one band. It mostly came from Let Go. "Blizzard of '77," "Blonde on Blonde," "Always Love," and "Blankest Year." Blizzard and Blonde were performed with musicianship that rivaled any other band I've seen. But "Always Love" had the sound and soul that for a moment of time, was unbeatable compared to any band on the planet that night. I fell in love with that song all over again like meeting a girl at a record store and she has all the albums you hate, but you're attracted to her for some reason; I hate it when that happens. But they did cap off the night with fun, hopefulness, and the energy of youth. What other song can you just sing-scream "ah fuck it!" and let it be so carefree and nonchalant? I miss that show already.

"I saw a swarm of fruit flies, I took the bag downstairs....snowflakes in the air, I'm sorry, I got no where to go...."

No comments: