Saturday, April 11, 2009

The most tender place in my heart is for strangers

I know, it's been a while since I've posted and I've been to a bunch of concerts in the interim. I will now poorly attempt to recall them all.

The busy week in March. First up was Beach House, a dream pop duo from the hardcore streets of Baltimore. First time seeing them, kind of what I expected. Whispery vocals and minimal instrumentation were the design of the evening. Subtle hints of guitar, keyboard, and drums filled the evening air. Victoria sang with a yearning quality that touched the back of the venue with ease. The "oohs" of "Gila" were the highlight for me, I don't know why, but I always like that part of the song.

Next up was Modest Mouse at Ram's Head Live. I did not like that venue at all for this show. Completely filled beyond of capacity, I was barely able to occupy a spot with a good sight and sound line. But once I was there, MM made all the troubles go away. Sticking with mainly songs from there latest, and no Johnny Marr to be seen on stage, they still rocked the night out. MM are one of the reasons I used to play guitar, not extremely technically proficient, but full of emotion and raucous sound of distortion. Hearing "3rd Planet" was heaven for me, a simple riff to begin the song that slowly builds into a massive supernova and dies down just as quickly. A great night of reliving my college years.

Okay, The Death Set at the Ottobar was just a fun night. Starting with this young, loud, snotty punk band labeled Cerebral Ballsy, they were not PC, uncouth, and made the bold promise of this being a great night. Well, they didn't lie. Followed up by Totally Michael, this one man attack machine was a godsend. Extremely upbeat, self-deprecating, funny, yet good songs, and able to make the entire crowd get involved and throw down in a dance off, I liked him. Plus, one of the greatest lines in a song, "I'm the number one topic in her dairy!!!" Cliche, yet, slightly girly, maybe, awe inspiring when yelled in a room full of young people, totally. And finally, the Death Set, craziness and debaucher in a bottle. Everyone was sweating, pumping into each other, jumping all over the place, and really making the alcohol in our bellies was well mixed. "Negative Thinking" was the highlight, I was lifting people left and right for crowd surfing, while trying to survive the mini pit to my left, it felt good.

Now I want to apologize to the company I was in for the Bloc Party concert, I know I dance like a stroke victim, but I had to, they were so good live. But first of Longwave, I liked them. As someone said, they sound like early Coldplay, but I felt they were a little more Radiohead than U2 for that comparison. Huge sounding songs, with double guitars, and a lot of melodramtic lyrics, word. But Bloc Party owned the night, whatever they were playing, I was probably attempting to dance or something like that. But I was really into it. "Mercury," "Song for Clay," "Banquet," and "This Modern Love" were it for me, wanting to hear those live again made my week. I know this one is a short write up, but it was really, really good.

Matt and Kim were simply fun and adorable. Like a pair of puppies that can play instruments. I was simply in love with them. Wanting to see them for so long, they did not disappoint me. Energtic, fun, talkative, and a little bit buzzed, they were just lively. With their seemingly simply compositions, they added a layer of complexity that evening by switching back forth through songs, jumping up and down, dancing left and right, and being geninuely apprecitative to be on stage. "Daylight" was the highlight for me, their first song off their new LP, I don't want to say it's more mature than their last, but an arua of new blood and life is in their sound, and I really like it.

As for Glasvegas, a lot of emotive lyrics, riffs, and they're Scottish, but man was their set short as hell. And it didn't help that their opener, Ida Maria, simply owned that stage. Like a sober, saner version of Courtney Love, Ida was barking, singing, dancing, and flirting with the crowd. And with songs like "Oh My God," the crowd fell right back in love with her. Need to see her again to relive her set. But back to Glasvegas, they did everything right, but maybe a little too polished and NMElike. They have great songs, "Geraldine" opened the night with promise. And "Go Square Go" has one of the most easy singalongs for the chorus, but it felt a little too thin when compared with Ida Maria. Maybe next time.

Finally, Neko Case, I just want to marry her. Beautiful, funny, dry, and a voice from a higher being, she was .... I don't know what to say. Sticking with songs from her new record and last one, her and the band were as close to perfection as can be. Every song was clear, concise, with a tinge of chaos, and natually flowed into each other. And Kelly Hogan was the best sidekick anyone could ask for, one-liners, that southern twag in her voice, and an amazing voice to back it all up, she made the concert what it was. And she got everyone to admit they were nerds right off the bat, but did it in such a way that it was a complement. I really loved this show, probably the best out of all in this post. As proven by my ability to not convey it properly right now. Until next time.

No comments: